Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Yarn Along...

~ Two of my favorite things are knitting and reading and I love sharing my projects and current reads here. I would love for you to join me every Wednesday to share a single photo of what you are knitting (or crocheting) and reading too!~


I knit this precious little wool soaker for my nephew back in November (Ravelry notes here) and it is what set me on the course of exploring wool's roll in cloth diapering.  I dabbled with my last child by sewing up two soakers from thrifted sweaters, but I was completely confused and intimidated by the wash and lanolizing routine.  I never used those covers and eventually gave them away.

But this time I decided to really knuckle down and learn.  It turns out, it isn't a difficult process at all. 

This will be my fourth time cloth diapering and my preferences have changed so much since I started in 2008.  Slowly over the years I've moved to natural materials.  For my first two children all of my diapers were bumgenius pockets.  I actually did add in a few organic elementals with my second.  For my third I transitioned to organic cotton prefolds and PUL covers.  Now, this time around, I've settled on organic cotton prefolds and fitteds with wool covers.  I think my journey in knitting has affected my decision greatly.  There are so many distinct differences when knitting with manmade materials vs natural...in how they feel, how they wear and how they stand up to hard use.  Things I didn't consider prior to learning to knit.

So given wool's long history of it being a breathable, self cleaning, moisture wicking material...I think it's the perfect choice for us and baby #4.

Which leads me to this weeks Yarn Along project.  The WHW Plain Wrap.  


I chose this diaper soaker because of the ability to customize closures.  I haven't decided on whether I'll use aplix or buttons yet, but I'm leaning towards buttons.  I knit the small size wanting to have a cover for those first few weeks (I have big babies), but the more I knit the more I think I should have actually gone with the newborn size.  We'll see.  Next on my list and after researching even more I believe my go to soaker pattern is going to be the Curly Purly pattern with inch and a half leg cuffs.  It seems to get stellar reviews in both ease of the pattern and functionality.

I'm still knitting the baby socks from last week and finishing up Hands Free Life from last week as well.

New on the list of reading is my friend's Bradley Birth Workbook.  Birthing nerves are upon me and this has lots of useful tidbits.



I'm joining Ginny over at Small Things today for her weekly Yarn Along.  Please check it out!!

4 comments:

Eileen said...

Hi, loved this post. I am so interested in soakers. Do you need to treat these with lanolin? or just hand wash and air dry? Sorry, so many questions. My dghter is having a baby in the spring and wants to use cloth diapers. I used cloth diapers for my 4 children but back then only rubber pants were available or paper diapers.
Thanks for visiting Little House Quilting today.

Kelli said...

Hey Eileen!
Everything I read about wool covers says to hand wash about once a week (give or take) and lanolize every two weeks to keep them water proof. A lot of the blogs that demystify using wool for covers go into great detail about how wool is antibacterial and if you have a couple of covers in rotation they can easily dry flat in between uses. Of course if one gets massively soiled it should be washed right away, but that usually doesn't happen since there is a cloth diaper under it. Pinterest has been a great help in taking some of the intimidation out of the process for me. I hope this helps! Congrats and good luck on your new grandbaby!

deborah said...

Best of luck on your new venture in diapering! :)

deborah said...

Best of luck on your new venture in diapering! :)